Antonioni & Antonioni Law Office Serving Central Massachusetts for 58 Years
Free 30-Minute Telephone Consultation 978-401-0823

Reasons child support may be modified

Children in Massachusetts and elsewhere in America are generally entitled to receive support until they reach the age of majority. When parents separate or divorce, a court may mandate support payments even if neither party requested them. However, if a parent does initially request child support, he or she may wish to stop the payments in the future.

There are several circumstances which may cause a parent to stop wanting to receive child support payments. In one such scenario, the parents may decide to get back together. When this happens, there is no reason for the child support to continue, and the parent who requested it will need to go to court and request that it is terminated.

If either parent's financial situation changes, support payments could be modified. For instance, if the individual who receives support receives an inheritance or gets a raise at work, the person who makes the payments could be entitled to a modification in the amount he or she pays. The parent who is receiving payments could also voluntarily request that the amount of support he or she receives is eliminated or reduced. However, a judge may have to agree to any proposed changes before they go into effect.

Parents who wish to receive a modification of child support may benefit consulting with attorneys. A lawyer may be able to present evidence that compels a judge to either reduce the amount that an individual owes or eliminate it altogether. This may occur if a noncustodial parent loses a job or if the parents of a child reconcile. It should be noted that any current order stays in effect until the modification is approved.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help ?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy